Unless your idea of stylin it in the kitchen is green and khaki camouflage (not that there is any wrong with that!) you maybe wondering why we are reviewing a FoodSaver model originally intended for hunters and recommending it as one to seriously consider for your kitchen. Their are three main reasons why this model should be a top contender if you are considering buying a vacuum sealer.
1. The GameSaver Bronze is one of FoodSaver’s newest models.
As a result it takes full advantage of all the lessons FoodSaver’s engineers have learned after decades of making and selling vacuum sealers.
2. Heavy Duty Vacuum Sealing
FoodSaver promotes their GameSaver models as being designed to seal between 40 and 50 bags (waiting 30 seconds between seals!) before requiring a 30 – 60 minute cool down period.
That is 4 to 5 times more seals than all their other models that are rated for 10 to 12 seals before needing to cool down!
So if you plan to do a lot of bulk sealing, i.e. you have a big freezer and do SUV busting trips to Costco or you have a decent size garden have to deal with lots of produce needing to be harvested all at once; then this one feature alone maybe important enough to out way any other consideration.
3. Lifetime Limited Warranty
This is the only model in the entire FoodSaver line that comes with any kind of lifetime warranty! A pretty good indication of what FoodSaver thinks of the model.
So why wouldn’t you want to purchase this model?
- The GameSaver is a manual style vacuum sealer. – You have to take a few extra manual steps to get a good seal. There is a bit of longer learning curve than with fully automatic models like the v3860 where you just stick the open end of the bag you are sealing into the slot and the machine takes over. Though honestly there is really not as big a difference as it might sound like. Certainly not enough to outweigh the heavier duty sealing capacity this model affords you. Interestingly after reading most of the FoodSaver customer reviews on the web, I can tell you that there is a significant percentage of vacuum sealer owners that prefer the manual machines. Either they find they have more problems with the automatic feed units or they just like the extra control they have.
- It is simpler in its capabilities. – The newer upright, automatic FoodSavers (3800 series) have additional control features aimed more at cooking than vacuum sealing. For example the v3860, another model we recommend, has a marinator mode button that is intended to optimize the flavor enhancing aspects of using a vacuum sealer to quickly marinate meats. The v3860 also has a Pause/PulseVac button that lets you more finely vacuum seal soft items to prevent them from being crushed.The thing is you can still accomplish both of these functions with the GameSaver.
The GameSaver Bronze does include an accessory port that allows you to purchase the accessory hose and the full line of FoodSaver accessories. So lets say you want to marinate some meat. You could use either a mason jar and the jar lid sealer accessory or FoodSaver’s marinating container. After hooking everything up and preparing your meat in the container you would press seal on your unit, let it sit for 10 minutes, open up the container, flip the meat and repeat the process. Less convenient for sure but it will still get the job done.For sealing something soft without crushing it, you can just re-press the vacuum/sealer button used to start the sealing process at anytime to stop it. So you accomplish the same task as the automatic unit manually and by eyeballing it.
So as you can see it really comes down to your particular needs; bulk sealing vs convenience and automated features. Even the aesthetics of the unit may not be a show stopper as it can be flipped up to store vertically on your counter. If you turn it sideways the image on the front is pretty much hidden from view.
We think this model is a real sleeper and though not one of the least expensive or flashiest vacuum sealers on the market, does the main job that is the reason many people buy a vacuum sealer to begin with; vacuum seal food in bulk. The lifetime warranty, flip storage and accessory port add very useful additional functionality and value to the Bronze. If you can get past the styling you may find this unit all the vacuum sealer you need. You may want to take a look at the gamesaver bronze manual if you need further convincing.
Image Title FoodSaver GameSaver Bronze Vacuum Packaging System Feature Mossy Oak pattern
Two speed settings
Easy lock latch
Removable drip tray
Flips vertically for easy storage
Rating Link More Info